Monday, September 17, 2007

Quiznos and kitchens

A kitchen milestone: we passed an inspection today. The electrical inspector was here. He apparently at one time owned a business that competed with the electrical contracting company that My Engineer Man works for. Oh, my. I got to practice my discretion and humility, probably not attributes for which I am famous. Mr Inspector said, “They got it right in Europe. There they make engineers not only go to school for four years, but they have to work in the field for two years before they get a license.” I said, “But My Man did not DO the wiring. An electrician from his company did.” He said, “Those big companies may know how to do commercial wiring, but that doesn’t mean they know anything about residential work.” About now I decided it would be wise to keep my mouth shut, which is also not something I’m famous for. I smiled sweetly and told Mr Inspector Man how much I appreciated his vast wisdom.

We passed the inspection. Mr. Inspector Man will be back for the final inspection when everything is done. I think I’ll be busy that day. Mike can deal with him.

More submarine sandwiches today. Actually, I decided on a salad at Quiznos. I’ve been missing vegetables in all this eating out, especially in these fast food places. I mentioned this on the phone to my Virginia daughter, the potter who travels a lot to art shows all over the country. She offered that Quiznos has some good salads. Though she suggested one that had warm chicken and warm bacon, our Bluemound Road establishment did not have any salads with warm ingredients. But I still ordered the Roasted Chicken Salad ($5.99). It was good sized, but not so huge that I couldn’t eat the whole thing. The combination of romaine, roasted chicken, bacon, ham, cheddar (I didn’t find much of that), red onion and tomato with a tasty, honey mustard dressing hit my vegetable-deprived spot. The Man Who Must Have Been Italian In Another Lifetime ordered the Italian sub sandwich ($5.59). The grilled bun looked yummy, and the combination of pepperoni, salami, Italian sausage, ham, mozzarella cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and red wine vinaigrette dressing hit his meat-lovin’ taste buds too.

Other things we noticed at Quiznos:
1) The guy working behind the counter was friendly and helpful, even though we showed up at 7:45 PM, and they are supposed to close at 8 on Sundays. He did not rush us.
2) I initially asked for a Cobb Salad, but they were out of hard boiled eggs. We asked for small soft drinks, and they were out of small cups. He did not charge us for the larger cups ($1.29 for a small soda). They were also out of the flatbread that is supposed to come with the salads.
3) The bathroom (there is one shared by all) has different issues than usual. Though the waste container was not overflowing and the floor was reasonably clean, the sink looked like it had never been scoured.
4) The ice maker in the machine that dispensed soft drinks wasn’t working, and the drinks it dispensed were warm. There was clumpy ice to scoop for yourself in a styrofoam cooler next to the drink machine.

Still, I might consider this when on the road sometime. But while in Brookfield, I have already found many better places to eat (for a price, of course).

Wired safely, but still
Kitchenless in Brookfield

No comments: