Sunday, November 4, 2007

Tile and Grasch's Deli

Oops! This entry was from Thursday and the one after this was from Friday. Oh, well. Now that I'm caught up, I will try to post these In The Proper Order in the future. Sorry 'bout that.

The tile-installer guys were here today. They are working on the backsplash for my kitchen. This will take three days. Today they cut the slate into four-inch squares. Tomorrow they install it, along with the decorative botanical tiles my potter daughter made for us. Then it dries overnight and Monday they grout it. Obviously, since our daughter made the tiles, this backsplash is the most crucial part of this entire remodeling job to me. I can’t wait to see it.

After the backsplash, there are some moldings to put up and the hardware. Then the wall and ceiling painter does his magic. Then the bamboo floor will get its final coat(s) of finish. And then– tada!– the appliances are delivered and installed, along with the sink and faucets. And then you can all come over for dinner. Well, maybe a few of you at a time. And I’d give it a week or so, until I get my fill of steamed brussel sprouts and fried eggs.

I am saving Flemings for our final dinner out. We will skip it and come back. Smart me bought a $75 gift certificate for Flemings at the Waukesha County Land Conservancy’s fundraiser. While supporting my favorite non-profit, I hope I created a bit of comfort for The Man And His Wallet. But, really. In the cost of a kitchen remodeling job, what’s a couple hundred bucks for a final grand meal? (Just in case The Man happens to read this, I’m kidding, I’m kidding.)

I needed a night at home, so tonight I am going to review my favorite deli – Grasch’s. Actually, it’s my favorite grocery store, but I know little about their deli items with the exception of their Dill Seafood Salad, which is way beyond yummy. Our dinner tonight consisted of a half of a roasted chicken in a sweet pepper sauce (from Grasch’s deli $7.41), baked winter squash casserole (from Grasch’s deli - I forgot to write down the price), and a waldorf salad made from cut-up Cortland apples that I bought at the Brookfield Farmers’ Market last Saturday and mixed with raisins and a handful of walnuts, dressed in fat free apricot yogurt. We didn’t even eat the entire half chicken, so it will be lunch on the weekend. It seems that one can eat nice stuff from a very good deli for less than even the cheapest fast food meal. And it was fairly simple, even without a kitchen. I made the salad in a small enough bowl to wash in the bathroom sink, heated the other dishes in glass refrigerator dishes that are easy to clean and served it all on paper plates with a glass of Ken Forrester 2003 Petit Chenin - a South African wine from Grasch’s. In a real wine glass.

I’m becoming less
Kitchenless in Brookfield

No comments: