Sunday, November 11, 2007

Uno's and Switchplates

Uno’s is east of Moreland Road. We’ve eaten our way over 3 miles of Bluemound Road restaurants since September 7th, when we became kitchenless. I’m not going to make it to the Stadium before my kitchen is done, as someone thought would be likely, but I will make it into the next suburb of Elm Grove. We should have the Most Beautiful Kitchen in Brookfield in about a week.

Actually, it already IS the Most Beautiful Kitchen in Brookfield, though not yet functional. The hardware is installed on the cabinets. The slate and botanical tile back-splash is done and is breathtaking. Some of the moldings are installed and the carpenter guys get to wake me up tomorrow morning when they come back to finish their work. The Man Who Does Electical Stuff Without Frying Himself Or Burning The House Down spent last week on his computer trying to find switchplates in an oiled bronze finish to match the cabinet hardware. I was agonizing over the choice I had made of stainless steel plates. They looked awful. No-- they just -- Looked. Like switchplates were what you noticed when you walked into the kitchen. Who (besides The Man Who Does Electicity For Fun) would want their kitchen to be all about the switchplates? Realizing that he might have to put up with me moaning at him for the rest of his life, The Man got serious and found really cool bronze ones at Restoration Hardware. And then he was witless enough to mention that they were much more expensive than the stainless ones, to which I replied, "Like we'd even notice in the cost of this kitchen?" Good grief!

Meanwhile, we arrived at Uno’s at 6:30 PM on Saturday evening and were told our wait would be 25 minutes. So we settled in at a table in the bar and studied the appetizer and beverage menu, and yippee! I discovered another place that serves a caffeine-free diet cola! I felt I should support this menu item, so I ordered that beverage and The Man Whose Tastes Are None Too Adventuresome ordered nachos ($7.99) for us to share. But within 15 minutes we were seated in the dining room, nibbling nachos while waiting for our dinner order. The order of nachos was enormous, with lots of tomatoes and beans and sour cream, but the cheese was tasteless - in the opinion of your master Bluemound Road restaurant critic.

I noticed several fish dishes on their dinner menu. After all the fast food and ethic restaurants and chains, I’d become a bit desperate for seafood. I ordered the Lemon Basil Salmon ($13.49) with a side of mashed potatoes with cheese and bacon and a side of steamed broccoli (oh, yum!). The Man ordered one of the pizzas for which Uno’s is famous, the Chicago Classic Deep Dish Pizza ($8.89) which has tomatoes, cheese and Italian sausage in a deep pie crust. My salmon was excellent! It was a good-sized portion, with a spicy crust on top and perfectly done and served HOT. Though my memory is untrustworthy, this was the best piece of fish I could recall eating while on this Bluemound Road adventure. The potatoes were not from a box and were also yummy and the broccoli was crunchy and hot. Altogether a great meal. The Man said his pizza met his specifications for good food. Service was great – our waitress brought us new glasses of colas before ours were even empty.

When we left at 7:30, no one was waiting. If you come to Uno’s on a Saturday evening, don't be early.

For another week, I'll be
Kitchenless in Brookfield

No comments: