Friday, August 17, 2007

LEGACIES AND SHOTS

I know, I know; I missed a day. Get over it. I have a life – occasionally.

Yesterday I took a trip to The East Side to Legacies, a fabulous resale shop in Fox Point. A few items I’m unearthing in my kitchen packing process may have enough value to someone to be worth carting them across town. Like the large aqua bowl that appeared from behind the 47-year-old, wedding-present casserole dishes. The numerous casseroles go to Good Will, but I get a kick out of seeing if I have anything that is actually saleable. For instance, in a box in my basement storage dump was a total stranger’s baptismal certificate from 1846 that was framed in an elaborate old frame. I have no idea why this was in my basement, but perhaps someone would find this item collectible. The cool thing is that Legacies does not handle junk. They call them "antiques and collectibles". As I am a collector of nothing, I need their expertise. Like the Antiques Road Show, I drop off my stuff, they look up the value of each item, but Legacies puts it up for sale in their store. They have Spode china and Stickley furniture, jewelry, artwork and stuff people picked up on trips to foreign places. As I know the value of nothing, I take it to Legacies. If my stuff doesn’t sell in a month, they reduce the price. After 3 months, they donate my unsaleable stuff to the Good Will. Once a month, they send me a check for anything that sold - minus their commission.

Sure beats rummage sales, if you ask me. But you didn’t.

After the trip to Legacies, I met The Man With Whom I Love To Travel Even If He Does Have Funky Food Issues at the Froedert Hospital Travel Clinic to get our malaria pills and hepatitis shots for our upcoming vacation to South Africa in October. I’ve not mentioned here that we will miss 2 ½ weeks of our demolished kitchen while we are searching out lions and giraffes. Those of you who have bet on my final restaurant destination have my permission to change your guess based on this new information.

The Kitchen Demolition Guy came today with Bill, The Kitchen Project-Manager Guy to discuss exactly which walls come out, how much flooring to remove and just exactly what is beneath that carpeting. Not much, if I recall. But -- I probably don’t...

It’s getting closer now. Two weeks plus Labor Day weekend till demolition. Restaurant reviews begin then. As Wisconsin is having a temporary autumnal break in the weather, I want to putz (that’s another word for deadhead and stake tipped over plants) in my garden this weekend. When it gets hot again next week I will go back to packing baking pans in boxes and taking some to Good Will. I just counted: I own 22 bread pans. For a short period of time, I sold homemade bread, an activity that I am highly unlikely to take up again. (My children grew up; I have a life. Now I pack boxes.)


Soon to be
Kitchenless in Brookfield

2 comments:

tubeworm said...

ha, you think you told me all about that during our walk? no, you didn't. I wake up on a lovely Saturday morning to find out that my friend is a bread pan nut....22 bread pans...oh my....

I better go and empty my drawers and cubby holes.... there are 22 or 25 or 222 of all kinds of unmentionables...
H

tubeworm said...

Just don't take one of those many men that seem to live at your house to Legacy...they surely wouldn't know how to put a value on any of them...
keep especially The Man Who Knows How To Fix Just About Anything Anytime Anywhere and Smile....
Hilde